Saturday, August 22, 2009

Family Getaway to Duluth!!

Johnny suprised us with a two day trip up north. I knew we were going somewhere, just not exactly where. Here are some highlights from our adventure!

Thursday
5:00am- waaaaay to early to be awake

5:30am- left the house and headed north

7:30am- First stop......Bruno/Willow River exit on 35W North......Dave's Cafe! A little local cafe with the BEST breakfast. We discovered this spot back in the day on one of our trips to and from UMD. We walked in that morning and 20 heads turned. The place is filled with the "regulars" and we definately did not fit in!! I even overheard the waitress saying that they open at 7am, but the guys know how to let them selves in and turn on the coffee pot at 6:30am and just wait till the staff gets there. Anyway, we had an enormous breakfast for really cheap- we recommend this spot to anyone- as long as you don't mind feeling a little out of place:):)



















10:30am- Gooseberry Falls.......it was drizzling rain, but it felt good and wasn't enough to even get us wet- more like a mist. We walked around with Julia, Johnny had Lyvia in the backpack, for about an hour and a half. The water was high an the falls were beautiful!! The river was muddy and when we looked down from a bridge Julia said "Dad!! Chocolate Water!!" hahahaha

1:30pm- The Edge Waterpark in Duluth!!! Our suite overlooked the indoor waterpark. We got our swimsuits on immediately and went to play!! Lyvia lasted about a 1/2 hour, so mommy and Lyvia got to go back to the room to take a nap:)


6:00pm- Ordered in from Blackwoods Restaurant! We picked up our food and went back to the hotel to enjoy. Much better than trying to keep 2 kids quiet and behaved in a restaurant:)
7:30pm- Mom and Julia went back to the waterpark for one last time for the day. She went down the little yellow slide about 50 times, sat in the hot tub for a little bit and were back in the room by 8:30pm to get Julia ready for bed- she was so tired!

10:00pm- We were all in bed- unheared of!!!

Friday

8:00am- Continental breakfast at the hotel followed by more swimming at the waterpark! Lyvia was getting tired and I could have probably brought her back to the room and she would have taken a nap, but instead I took her on the lazy river and held her as she put her head on my chest and sucked her fingers. She didn't fall asleep but she was so relaxed and I was loving it. I honestly don't remember the last time that I was able to cuddle her that long. I could have stayed there forever:) It was quite a sight too, to see me dodging all the waterfalls on the lazy river- by the end I was a pro.

12:00pm- Hotel Checkout and we headed to Leif Erickson Rose Garden for lunch. Johnny packed sandwiches and fruit and of course cheese sticks:) From there we walked down the boardwalk toward Fitgers. Lyvia was in the stoller and Julia walked with us- she was a trooper and did pretty good. Johnny had to hold her on his shoulders every once in a while to give her a break. Lyvia was all smiles the ENTIRE day!!! Everyone we walked by would comment "Wow- she's happy!" or "Look at the happy baby". She was loving it. It was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL outside! The sky was bright blue and it the sun felt so warm. Johnny and Julia took a break to skip rocks in the water while me and Lyvia watched from up above on the boardwalk
1:30pm - We stopped in Fitgers just to look around and Johnny already had booked a massage for me at one of the day spas there. Another suprise! We walked by and he told me to go in because I had an appointment. One of the best massages I've had- heaven!!!

2:30pm- Portland Malt Shoppe stop! I don't think we will ever get sick of the malts there- its a must stop every time. Johnny got a peanut butter cookie dough malt- doesn't that sound just like him? We waked down to Canal Park and spent the afternoon walking around and enjoying the weather and the beautiful lake.

6:00pm- We headed back to our car. Julia was getting tired, and so was I!! Julia walked most of the day but sat on Johnny's shoulders a lot too. She's getting pretty big so Johnny had quite the workout- I think his back was ready for a break. When we got to our car, I was unpacking the stroller and grabbed Lyvia and put her on my shoulders. It was then where I had the genius idea that for the whole day Johnny could have put Lyvia on his shoulders and Julia could have taken a ride in the stroller when she was complaining that she was tired. Whoopsies. Sorry Johnny. hahaha

7:00pm- Before we even got out of the parking lot both girls were asleep. We took a driving tour through UMD and saw all the new buildings and changes from when we went to school there. They have added so much- it looks awesome- I would love to go to school there now. We reminiscesd about the many memories of college......so glad we are at this chapter in our lives though!

11:00pm- Home and bed! We had such a fun trip. The girls were so good and we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. Good job Johnny!!!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, Johnny, I'm impressed! But you're making the rest of us look bad, man. :)

    I agree with Julia, too. Mmmm, chocolate water. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete